Friday, April 22, 2016

"Circles in Space and Time"

In March this very unusual quilt top came to me at a request for custom quilting.  I was told it would be an entry at the Clark County Quilt Show the following month.  
I love challenges like this!
From the onset I loved the colors. They are dusty and earthy.  My client's choice to use circles - in keeping with the show theme, Circle of Life - speaks of the constant change in seasons, the weather and the elements of nature.  She designed blocks around a panel, with the panel being off-set to one side, which to me, translates the random, asymmetrical quality of nature. Though a one-dimensional form, movement is suggested in the fabrics themselves and through pattern design. When quilted, art form takes a two - and if you're successful - a three-dimensional quality. At our first consult I asked myself: how could I contribute to the energy already there?  

My client's perspective (in bolded italics throughout this post): "Circles in Space and Time" was inspired by the colors and shapes in this purchased printed panel and a class that I took in Sisters, Oregon called "Circle Dance". Although the idea of using a panel was my idea, using two sizes of Drunkard's Path blocks in nontraditional ways was the purpose and intent of the class.  Originally, I envisioned quilting this in six smaller sections on my home sewing machine before assembling it. But after patiently waiting for a couple years for me to finish, I relented and decided to sew it all together and have it professionally quilted by a longarm quilter whom I met last year in September at the Portland Expo Center Quilt Show.

After 'marinating' quilting design for some time, I decided to convey a nature cycle with sunny skies feeding blowing grasses. A watery koi pond evaporating to the skies, which in turn rained down to earth. The sun comes out and starts the process all over again. Follow with me as I show you what I've tried to bring to life with the needle. 

"Sunny Skies" begin at the upper right of the quilt. All quilting is mixed technique, some freehand and some digitized to get the best effect.
  



Next is the quilt back showing the 'wind' and things tossed about by it on the ground or in the air.  Also depicted are those things fed by the sun.  
The "Blowing Grasses":
Over a year ago, I doodled some ideas on paper for quilting a variety of designs that I thought I could do free motion before purchasing a mid-arm sit-down quilting machine. But the deadline for this year's quilt registrations came quickly and I was running out of time to do everything I wanted to do all by myself. Connie was the only longarm quilter I could find in Vancouver who was willing to do custom quilting. This is the third quilt she has done for me and her quilting ability is far better than mine. Her ideas for quilting motifs surpassed my expectations and brought extra life and imagination to my treasured patchwork project.
The quilt back, showing quilting detail on the "Blowing Grasses" section:
The "Koi Pond":
What, other than koi, would you find swimming or wriggling in a koi pond? What would you find growing in or near one?
 




To me the two dimensional circles represent the building blocks of life: atoms, molecules, blood cells, suns, moons, planets, etc. and even air bubbles in water.  Some of the stylized circles represent lily pads (plant life) and mimic those found in the panel.










The "Chance of Rain"section:




The pumpkin seed pattern gave a sense of raindrops to me.  I tried to quilt on each circle whatever would be found floating/flying in the sky; clouds, butterflies, swirling plant life, etc.



























Connie found a variety of digital sashiko patterns to use representing flora and fauna. These are featured on the circle surfaces. Although we collaborated on the selection of quilting thread colors and background quilting designs, it took Connie's passion and vision to make my basic ideas become a reality.
"Hidden Critters"
The quilt back
I took this snapshot at the show before the final ribbon was given to my client in its category: Viewer's Choice. (The purple ribbon shown is a vendor award). As I've said before, it's not all about awards and ribbons. But when you get one, it's thrilling someone else could see what you tried so hard to convey.



It's just another one of those reasons why I quilt.

No comments:

Post a Comment