Saturday, April 30, 2016

2016 CCQ Show - It's a Wrap!

Concluding my series on those quilts entered at the 2016 CCQ Quilt Show are these five quilts I either pieced and quilted myself or quilted professionally for others.  First in the line-up is Fall Diamonds and Arrowheads.
My client's words:  Inspired by an alternate class offered in July 2014 in Redmond, Oregon by Peggy Gilbrich, I used my class refund to purchase all the fabrics needed at a nearby quilt shop.  Peggy's class was my second choice when M'Liss Rae Hawley's class was cancelled.  I adore the glowing autumn colors.

Second in line is Autumn Kaleidoscope:
 Inspired by a pattern in one of M'Liss Rae Hawley's book and a class offered in July 2014 in Redmond, Oregon, I pre-cut strips of fabrics I had in my stash at home only to learn the day before that the class was cancelled.  I made it anyway!
Third, Blooming Sunset:
I attended both of Maggie Ball's CCQ workshops and finished the 'faux' bargello pattern with pleasing Fibonacci proportions.  I love the bright colors in the floral border and inside some of the blocks.  As soon as I saw the computerized hummingbird pattern, I simply had to have it.
Circle Sampler:
The quilting humor in this printed cartoon panel inspired me to make a just-for-fun wall hanging to play with printed stripes in Drunkard's Path blocks.  The colorful circles and larger semi-circles resulted in a complimentary outer border to the graphic inner borders.
(Note: my apologies for not zooming in on the cartoon humor for your enjoyment)!
I left my Chore Continuum for last. It has already been featured in my January 29th post entitled Vintage T-Towel Remake. I decided to give it a fancy moniker for the show! My comments for the placard: Women's domestic duties continue throughout the generations, but have perceptively changed over time. Remaining constant is a seemingly unending cycle of chores, as depicted through these vintage appliquéd and embroidered t-towel motifs. Emphasizing this day-in-day-out domestic cycle is a continuous quilted circle of feathers in the border.

It's wonderful to have these quilts hang in a show, but just as much a highlight for me was meeting Janet Fogg. I missed meeting Janet face-to-face when she spoke at our quilt guild last month. I made a special effort to tell her at the show how much I admire her incredible designs and quilts. When driving to Overland Park, Kansas to MQS three years in a row to learn longarm quilting, Janet's quilts were there and always had a high-ranking ribbon ... or two. And now I've met the woman behind the talent! Click on the hyperlink janetfoggquilts.com and you'll see what I mean. She's absolutely famous and tremendously gifted. A very brief bio: the background behind her quilting career began as a professional draftsperson, so when you look at what she's created you'll know it would take the mind of a mathematician and the patience of a saint to create what she does. In this season of her life she has decided not to enter her quilts in shows, but to refocus her energy toward creating kits and - from what I gathered at her guild presentation - spending more time with family. Janet personifies where we, as women, all arrive at redefining ourselves. What do I have energy to do? What should my energies go toward? To me, it's all about what matters most. Way to go Janet! 

Where have you arrived? I hope it's where you want to be :).

No comments:

Post a Comment