Tuesday, July 9, 2013


When life hands you lemons...

...you have no choice but to make do.  Gratefully, our distance from the fire break out gave us more time to pack up our things before the mandatory fire evacuation was announced for the Black Forest fire. Working solo for 90 minutes, and then later with a few family members and friends, I struggled with the decision of what to pack another 90 minutes after this announcement.

Of course, customer quilts were the first things in the car.  I had a responsibility to see to that. Personal quilts were piled on the dining room table and used as packaging material with which to wrap pictures off the walls.  Photo albums were thrown into large empty tubs stored in a hall closet just for that purpose.

Important documents, a few changes of clothing, extra shoes, and some heirlooms were salvaged along with other personal items that couldn't be replaced.  Beyond that, that's all the time I had before fleeing the ash and belching black fire plumes that were quickly descending upon our property and home. The sky was an alarming shade of crimson which poured through the windows those last few moments - a frightening farewell. 

One of the quilts we managed to save is pictured at right, and continues my Aloha theme from June - or Aloha II.


It showcases 49 Hawaiian flowers that have been raw-edge appliquéd.  The quilting was entirely free-motion; fern wreaths in each four-square block as well as around the edge of the quilt.  I chose an earthy theme for the fabrics to complement the Colorado locale.

One question that I am frequently asked is "Did I get all my quilts out?"  The answer is no.  There were some that were too difficult to reach that went down with the home.  



I made conscious decisions to leave most of the homes' other decorations because of their 1) low priority, and 2) I felt those adornments went with that house.  The next home will be blessed with its own character and love, with all family members safely intact who will gratefully supply that love in abundance.

Which brings me to my closing comment for this post four weeks to the day after our home was totally destroyed. What do you do when life hands you lemons?  As cliche as it sounds, you just have to make the best-tasting lemonade this side of Heaven. You re-create, rebuild and refashion another life similar if not better than the one before.  
Another question I've been asked is "Are you going to reopen your business?"  You re-create, rebuild and refashion another business similar if not better than the one before! Watch for an announcement of lemonade being served at my Grand Opening hopefully this fall in our cute little bungalow near Colorado Springs' Old North End.  
Life is truly sweet.


5 comments:

  1. You are an inspiration! I have been thinking about you so much this last month.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Susan. But I don't think I've done anything more than anyone else would have. My husband says, "It is what it is". I could complain and it would still be what it is, or I could be grateful and it would still be what it is. What changes is my perspective and resultant happiness. Life is good :-)

      Delete
  2. Aw Connie, this just breaks my heart! I am overjoyed that you and your loved ones are safe and that you were able to save any of your quilts or heirlooms from the fire, but am so very, very sorry for the loss of your beautiful and welcoming home. That being said, what made your home so warm and cheerful was YOU, so I am happy that you will continue your business as I would miss working with you. No matter where you relocate, I will be bringing my quilts to you not only because you do amazing work but because I regard you as a lovely friend and sister in Christ. Blessings on you, Connie. Out of the ashes will come joy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jan, your response, like countless others, has been overwhelmingly supportive to us. What would I do without my customer-friends!? I truly have been blessed. Healing comes quickly and completely thanks to you. See you soon...

      Delete
    2. Beautifully spoken to my wonderful mother in law, jmgiles!!! Thank you!

      Delete