Tuesday, December 17, 2013

A Wintry Woolen Wrap





For the holiday season, 
this simple woolen quilt not only warms you from head to toe 
but decks the halls when displayed on the back of a bench or easy chair.



Its colors are perfect for a man.  In fact, the actual block fabrics were repurposed from men's trousers, suit coats and vests found in my husband's closet (I asked first!) and on the racks at Goodwill.  The only yardage purchased was black and red felted wool and plaid flannel backing  - which is perfect as a cozy barrier from itchy wool on chinny-chin-chins.  












After the snowflakes were machine-appliquéd to each woolen  block, the rows were quickly pieced and ready for the long arm quilting process.  I stitched 1/4" away from every seam  and appliqué-stitched around each snowflake.  Solid woolen blocks form a border, of sorts, around the snowflake blocks. Inside each of the 'border blocks' I shadow-quilted a snowflake using my laser light on a pattern I enlarged especially for this process. My son-in-law loved it last year as his Christmas present!



No comments:

Post a Comment